A cupcake is a small cake designed to serve one person, frequently baked in a small, thin paper or aluminum cup.
- CUPCAKES WITH CREAM AND “ZAFFERANO 3 CHUOCHI” DECORATED WITH AN HEART MADE WITH STRAWBERRY ICING
As with larger cakes, frosting and other caek decorations, such as sprinkles, are common on cupcakes.
- CUPCAKES WITH ROSE CREAM AND WIRES OF “ZAFFERANO 3 CUOCHI” DECORATED WITH PETALS OF ROSE
A standard cupcake uses the same basic ingredients as standard-sized cakes: butter, sugar, eggs, and flour.
- CUPCAKES WITH “ZAFFERANO 3 CUOCHI” CREAM DECORATED WITH LITTLE ROSES MADE OF ORANGE AND LEMON ICING
Nearly any recipe that is suitable for a layer cake can be used to bake cupcakes. The cake batter used for cupcakes may be flavored or have other ingredients stirred in, such as raisins, berries, nuts, or chocolate chips.
- CUPCAKES WITH MANGO AND “ZAFFERANO 3 CUOCHI” POWDER DECORATED WITH GRAINS OF PISTACHIOS
Because their small size is more efficient for heat conduction, cupcakes bake much faster than a normal layered cake.
- CUPCAKES WITH SOUR CREAM AND “ZAFFERANO 3 CUOCHI” DECORATED WITH A LITTLE ROSE MADE OF STRAWBERRY SUGAR PASTE
Cupcakes may be topped with frosting or other cake decorations. They may be filled with frosting or pastry cream.
- BABY SHOWER CUPCAKES WITH “ZAFFERANO 3 CUOCHI” CREAM COVERED WITH LEMON AND STRAWBERRY ICING AND DECORATED WITH LITTLE PINK FOOT
For bakers making a small number of filled cupcakes, this is usually accomplished by using a spoon or knife to scoop a small hole in the top of the cupcake. In commercial bakeries, the filling may be injected using a syringe.
- CUPCAKES WITH CREAM AND “ZAFFERANO 3 CUOCHI” POWDER COVERED OF CHERRY SUGAR PASTE DECORATION OF SOME FLOWERS
Originally, cupcakes were baked in heavy pottery cups. Some bakers still use individual ramekins, small coffee mugs, large tea cups, or other small ovenproof pottery-type dishes for baking cupcakes.
- CUPCAKES WITH LEMON, PISTACHIOS AND STRAWBERRY CREAM FLAVORED WITH “ZAFFERANO 3 CUOCHI” COVERED WITH FLOWER DECORATIONS
Cupcakes are usually baked in muffin tins. These pans are most often made from metal, with or without a non-stick surface, and generally have six or twelve depressions or “cups”.
- CUPCAKES WITH ALMONDS CREAM AND “ZAFFERANO 3 CUOCHI” POWDER WITH A PURPLE ROSE DECORATION
They may also be made from stoneware, silicone rubber, or other materials. A standard size cup is 3 inches in diameter and holds about 4 ounces, although pans for both miniature and jumbo size cupcakes exist. Speciality pans may offer many different sizes and shapes.
- VALENTINE’S DAY CUPCAKES WITH CREAM AND “ZAFFERANO 3 CUOCHI” COVERED WITH SUGAR PASTE DECORATIONS OF FLOWERS AND HEARTS
Individual patty cases, or cupcake liners, may be used in baking. These are typically round sheets of thin paper pressed into a round, fluted cup shape.
- CUPCAKES WITH SOUR CREAM AND “ZAFFERANO 3 CUOCHI” DECORATED WITH A LITTLE ROSE MADE OF STRAWBERRY SUGAR PASTE PLACED IN A CUP
Liners can facilitate the easy removal of the cupcake from the tin after baking, keep the cupcake more moist, and reduce the effort needed to clean the pan.